Healthy Peanut Satay Dipping Sauce

I love Asian cuisine. Japanese sushi, Indian daal, Chinese dumplings… the list goes on. Although I’ve often ordered home the healthier options, I can never quite get those amazing flavours to really sing in my own kitchen. Or at least until yesterday I couldn’t. That was when this Healthy Peanut Satay Sauce came to life. Lord, am I glad to have succeeded with this one! It still has that yummy taste of peanuts, mixed with the sweetness from the dates (!) and the hot bite from the Thai red curry paste.

Conventional Peanut Satay sauce isn’t too “unhealthy” except for the sugar but my very unconventional version is both sugar-free and (in my opinion) easier to make than the original.

Healthy Peanut Satay Dipping Sauce



Serves: 1


1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk*

1 tbsp peanut flour*

1 tsp tamari (Japanese soy sauce, not as salty as Chinese)

1 peeled and pitted fresh date, soaked for a few hours if it’s really hard to peel

1 tsp Thai red curry paste (a scant tsp if you want it to be less spicy)

How to:

1. In a small bowl or glass, mash the date with a fork and 1 tsp of the almond milk until it’s a smooth “paste” that’s easy to mix with the other ingredients. 
2. Pour in the rest of the ingredients and stir until they’re all evenly mixed in. Have a taste. And another. And another. And another  ;-)

I served it with steamed broccoli, brown rice and soy meat skewers and a few crushed peanuts on top for a little crunch!



*Note: If you want to use coconut milk and/or peanut butter instead, go ahead! I think it’s easier to make this way but we all have different preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment