Creamy Chocolate Oats
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 fresh dates (30-35 g)
- 1 heaped tbsp cacao or cocoa powder (or a tiny bit less if you find the taste too strong or bitter)
- salt to taste
1. In a small pot over low heat, bring the oats, almond milk, water and salt to the boil and let simmer. Stir often so the oats don't stick to the bottom.
2. As the oats are cooking, prepare your date paste. Peel and pit the dates, this is easier if you have really fresh, gooey dates or have soaked the dates in hot water for about 10 minutes beforehand.
3. Place the peeled dates in an itty bitty bowl or glass and mash them with a splash of water until smooth. (I like to use a shot glass for this!)
4. Transfer the date paste into the pot and stir until it's been well incorporated into the oats.
5. Add the cocoa powder and stir again.
6. Let simmer until you have reached desired consistency, then spoon up in a bowl, add toppings of your choice and serve immediately!