Yields one big serving or two small ones.
Cooking time: Approximately 25 min.
2/3 cup uncooked brown rice fusilli or pasta of your choice
1 1/2 cups sliced brown mushrooms
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tbsp vegan cream substitute (I used Oatly's oat cream)
1/2 tbsp brown rice flour or thickening of your choice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt, pepper and lemon juice (optional) to taste
Start by bringing a pot of water to the boil, to cook your pasta in later.
1. Place all of the above ingredients except for the brown rice flour, mushrooms and nutritional yeast in a small saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to the boil.
3. Stir, then lower the heat and let simmer for a few minutes.
4. Next, add the brown rice flour (preferably through a sieve) and whisk as you go.
5. Put the nutritional yeast in, whisk again and leave the sauce to thicken over low heat while you prepare your mushrooms. (At this stage you could put your pasta in the boiling water so the all the components can be ready at the same time!)
6. In a separate pan, lightly sauté the mushrooms to cook some of the liquid off. You might want to use a bit of cooking oil in the bottom unless you have access to a non-stick pan.
7. Fold the sautéed mushrooms into the sauce, have a taste and add more seasoning if it needs it. Let simmer for a few more minutes for a thicker consistency.
8. Toss the pasta in the sauce and top with a few sun-dried tomatoes if you'd like!